The purpose of the Underground Storage Tank (UST) program is to protect public health and safety and the environment from releases of petroleum and other hazardous substances from tanks.
Before any work begins to install, remove or modify an UST system, a permit must be applied for through the El Segundo Fire Department. Before any secondary containment testing work begins on a UST system, notification must be provided to the Principal Environmental Specialist at the El Segundo Fire Department.
Your business or facility needs a UST permit if:
- You install, remove, or remove an UST system (system includes the tank itself, the associated piping, the monitoring system, and related equipment.)
- You have an underground storage tank (UST) system.
- Changes to the tank system usually requires a permit. Examples of such changes are replacing monitoring equipment, installing overfill protection, or adding secondary containment to the tank or piping. Contact the Principal Environmental Specialist at the El Segundo Fire Department before you begin any project for further information.
- Pay a fee to the CUPA.
UST Construction Permit and Plan Check
A UST Construction/Installation Permit may be required before modifying, repairing, installing Underground Storage Tanks. In order to receive a UST Construction/ Installation permit, the El Segundo Fire Department must review your plans for the project.
To begin the Plan Check process, please mail or drop off four (4) sets of your construction plans along with payment and a UST New Construction Application (Form ESD-01) to the ESFD-Environmental Safety Division at 314 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245. Plan review by drop-in is not available. If you have questions regarding your submittal, please call 310-524-2248.
UST Due Dates
Annual permitting fees to the City of El Segundo CUPA are due by June 30 as part of the consolidated permit program.
California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 16
California Health & Safety Code, Statutes of Chapter 6.7
City of El Segundo Municipal Code, Title 5, Chapter 5
Underground Storage Tank (UST) Documents
- Underground Storage Tank Letter from Chief Financial Officer
- Underground Storage Tank Certification of Financial Responsibility
- Underground Storage Tank - New Construction Application - Form ESD-01, 03-2020 Revision
- Underground Storage Tank - Owner-Operator Agreement
- Underground Storage Tank (Response Plan)
- Underground Storage Tank - Statement of Understanding and Compliance Form and Designated UST Operator ID Form